What is Hot Stone Reflexology?
Hot stones are loved by clients and it takes relaxation to another level; hot stones have been shown to lower cortisol levels and help to support the parasympathetic nervous system to help the body reverse the stress reaction.
Hot Stone massage originated in India and China and has been around for centuries; ancient civilisations believed that hot stones cleansed the body and relaxed the heart, grounding the soul and soothing the mind. As the name implies, the treatment involves using smooth stones which are heated and are used to massage the lower leg/feet/hands and to carry out the reflexology.
Hot stones are incorporated into a reflexology treatment using large stones to warm and massage the legs and feet/hands, and small stones to work reflex points and more specific areas. It is estimated that one stroke of a hot stone is worth five strokes of a hand. It is also believed to yield five times deeper and five times longer lasting effects compared to a normal reflexology session. The heat helps to relax the muscles in the feet/leg/hands allowing me to work deeper into the reflex areas.
The effects and potential benefits of hot stones include:
- heat penetrates to a much deeper level than finger pressure, and may reach up to 7-8cms into the superficial layer of muscle. This brings about physiological changes as well as improving energy flow;
- improved blood circulation & lymphatic drainage;
- promotes the release & elimination of toxins;
- boosts immunity and the lymphatic function;
- relieves tension in connective tissues;
- reduces muscular tension which will help muscles to relax and repair more efficiently;
- it is warming, deeply relaxing & soothing helping to melt away any tension or anxiety;
- helps to bring about a balance of body as well as mind.
What to expect during a Hot Stone Reflexology Treatment:
Hot Stones are used throughout the treatment allowing the heat to work the reflex areas alongside the regular reflexology treatment.
The treatment starts by using Hot Stones to massage the lower legs relieving any tension in the calf muscles and helping to enhance energy flow. This is then followed by applying various size stones to the bottom of each foot.
Toe stones are placed between the toes of one foot which is then wrapped in a towel whilst the other foot is given a thorough treatment with the use of various size stones being used to work specific reflexes. Each foot is worked in turn. Stones can also be placed behind the shoulders and hips or on the abdomen to help ease any tension or stress in those areas.
The temperature of the Hot Stones are regulated in a specially designed bag to ensure that they are kept at the correct temperature before being applied to the foot or leg.